Accountants Wirral | Accountants Chester | Phillips & Co Chartered Certified Accountants

Accountants Chester | Accountants Bromborough

Phillips & Co are a firm of Chartered Certified Accountants with offices in Chester and Bromborough. We provide a professional and cost-effective tax and accounting service especially tailored for the small business. With over 30 years experience we are not just accountants but a complete business support team.

Chester Office

Obsidian Offices, Chantry Court, Chester, CH1 4QN

01244 220 062

Brromborough Office

Thursby House, Croft Business Park, Bromborough, CH62 3PW

0151 346 2020

Accountants Bromborough | Accountants Chester | Phillips & Co | About Us

Accountants Bromborough | Accountants Chester | Phillips & Co | Rental Accounts

Accountants Bromborough | Accountants Chester | Phillips & Co | Services

Accountants Bromborough | Accountants Chester | Phillips & Co | Client Reviews

Accountants Bromborough | Accountants Chester | Phillips & Co | Wirral

Accountants Bromborough | Accountants Chester | Phillips & Co | Chester

Let Property Campaign

The Let Property Campaign is an opportunity for landlords who owe tax through letting out residential property, in the UK or abroad, to get up to date with their tax affairs in a simple way and take advantage of the best possible terms. If you’re a landlord and you have undisclosed income, you must tell HMRC about any unpaid tax now. You’ll then have 90 days to work out and pay what you owe.

The Let Property Campaign is an opportunity open to all residential property landlords with undisclosed taxes. This includes:

Those that have multiple properties;

Landlords with single rentals;

Specialist landlords with student or workforce rentals;

Holiday lettings;

Renting out a room in your main home for more than the Rent a Room scheme threshold;

Those who live abroad or intend to live abroad for more than 6 months and rent out a property in the UK, as you may still be liable to UK taxes.

We can work out how much tax you owe, the penalties/interest chargeable and complete/submit the relevant HMRC disclosure form.

For more information, please follow the link:

"I have been extremely impressed with the service provided by Phillips & Co. They have been extremely prompt, clear and polite at all times and have helped to make sense of what at times can be very confusing. I could not recommend their services enough. Thanks!"

MZB Property Ltd,


Making Tax Digital

Making Tax Digital (MTD) is the most fundamental change to the administration of the tax system for at least 20 years.

The essential elements for businesses and organisations are:

Paper records will no longer be sufficient: It will become mandatory for almost all businesses and organisations (self-employed, partnerships; limited companies and others) to use software or a spreadsheet to keep accounting records. Paper accounting records will cease to meet the requirements of tax law.

Returns and quarterly reporting: There will be a requirement to submit VAT returns and income tax updates (quarterly and annual) to HMRC, directly from software.

Non-VAT registered businesses

When does it start?

VAT: MTD for VAT starts in April 2019. You are not currently VAT registered; MTD for VAT will be relevant to you only if you become VAT registered.

Income Tax (self-employed, partnerships, trusts and landlords who compete self assessment tax returns): MTD is expected to become mandatory for income tax reporting, but not before 2020. Pilots of MTD for income tax have started.

Corporation Tax (limited companies): The timings for MTD for corporation tax have yet to be confirmed but it will not become mandatory before April 2020.

VAT-registered businesses

When does it start?

VAT: As your business is registered for VAT and your turnover is above the VAT threshold you will be required to keep digital accounting records and to file your VAT returns using MTD compliant software from April 2019 (the first VAT period starting on or after 1 April 2019). The current online VAT return will no longer be available.

Voluntary VAT-registered businesses

When does it start?

VAT: Although your business is registered for VAT your turnover is currently below the VAT threshold and as it stands you will not be required to keep digital accounting records or to file your VAT returns using MTD compliant software until 2020 or later. However, you do need to monitor your annual turnover each month, as if it increases to above £85,000 you will be required to comply with MTD for VAT rules.

Accountants Chester | Accountants Bromborough | Phillips & Co | Making Tax Digital

"We instructed Phillips & Co having lost faith in our previous accountants. They immediately struck us as being interested in the nature of our business and had actually carried out research into the various ways they could help us. We learnt more from Phillips & Co in the first three weeks than we had learnt from our previous Accountants in three years."

Hilary Roberts - Wirral Riding Centre

Sole Trader vs Limited Company...which is right for your business?

Lets look at some comparisons to help you decide.

Sole Trader


As a sole trader you are personally liable for any debt of the business.


Sole traders pay tax on their business profits via a self-assessment tax return.

The deadline for filing online self-assessment returns to HMRC is

31 January after the end of the tax year. The personal allowance for the

tax year 2019/20 is £12,500.

The Basic rate of 20% is paid on income from £12,501 up to £50,000, the Higher rate of 40% is paid on income between £50,001 and £150,000 and the

additional rate of 45% is paid on income over £150,000.

Losses can be offset against other income in the same year, carried back

and offset against previous year's profits or carried forward and

offset against future profits.

National Insurance (NI)

A sole trader pays Class 2 NI contributions and Class 4 NI contributions of 9% on

profits in excess of £8,632 (2019/20).

Accounts and Tax Returns

Sole Traders and Partners are not legally required to file annual accounts.

They must, however, keep records of income and expenses for the

purpose of completing their tax returns.

Limited Company


A limited company is a separate legal entity, so as a shareholder your personal

liability is limited to your shareholding.


A director of a company may take a salary from a limited company and this is

taxed at source under the Pay As You Earn tax system (PAYE).

Unless they have absolutely no pay or benefits then a director MUST

file a tax return. This is regardless of whether tax is owed or not.

A limited company pays corporation tax on its profits which is charged

at 19% from 1 April 2019 and is payable 9 months and 1 day

after the accounting period end. A company tax return must be

filed 12 months after the accounting period end.

The dividend allowance (the value of dividends that shareholder can receive

tax free) currently stands at £2,000. For dividends above the dividend

allowance the following tax rates apply: 7.5% at the Basic rate, 32.5% at the

Higher rate and 38.1% at the Additional rate.

Losses can be carried forward and offset against future profits or carried back

and offset against the previous year's profits.

National Insurance (NI)

Class 1 National Insurance may be payable on directors' salaries and bonuses

depending on the level of income. Employers National Insurance at

13.8% may also be paid on directors' salaries and bonuses.

Accounts and Tax Returns

Please see below for more details of the legal requirements of a limited company.

"We chose Phillips & Co because of their approach to client relationship building and also their progressive use of technologies to aid us in developing and producing our accounts efficiently and without the worry which we had experienced with previous firms. We found Terry and his team to be extremely proactive - actively providing ideas and suggestions to improve our accounts preparation and most importantly our cash flow management. "

Ian Jamieson, Director - West Coast Ventures Limited

Thinking of setting up a Limited Company? Here's a brief outline of what is involved...


The following information must be provided to Companies House:

Memorandum of Association - limited company name, location, business type.

Director's names, addresses and registered limited company address.

The limited company must be said to comply with the terms and conditions

of the Companies Act.

Articles of Association - director's powers, shareholders right etc.

Legal Requirements

A director of a limited company has certain legal responsibilities, including:

Your newly set up limited company must be registered at Companies House.

Annual accounts and confirmation statements must be filed with Companies

House every year.

Statutory accounts must be filed with HMRC every year.

A Corporation tax return must be completed each year and filed with HMRC.

We can form your limited company and complete all necessary legal requirements, leaving you to get on with running your business.

Have a company name in mind? Click on the link below to see if it is available.


Latest Tax News

HMRC scam targets the elderly and vulnerable


A scam used by criminals in 2018 is now doing the rounds again. Criminals purporting to be from HMRC are targeting the elderly and vulnerable people including those with dementia.

The scam involves telling the target that HMRC have a warrant out for their arrest as they haven’t paid the correct tax.

The Low Incomes Tax Reform Group shared some key points for those targeted by the fraudsters:

HMRC sometimes use phone calls or automated messages but generally use a reference number that you recognise. You can find a current list of digital and other contacts issued from HMRC on the GOV.UK website

Telephone numbers can be faked and you should never trust a number you see on your display, even if it looks like an official HMRC number. If you receive a suspicious call, end it immediately. Remember to double check the number before moving forward – you can confirm the official call centre numbers on GOV.UK. You can then call HMRC directly to check if it is a genuine call.

You should report all incidents to Action Fraud or call them on 0300 123 2040 . They are open Monday to Friday 9:00 – 18:00

You should also report the full details to HMRC (date, time, phone number used and content of the call) via email [email protected].


HMRC warns young people in the UK to 'stay vigilant' in order to avoid falling victim to tax refund scams


According to HMRC, criminals often target young individuals or the elderly as these groups of people are 'more likely to be less familiar with the UK tax system'.

HMRC has warned taxpayers to be especially vigilant about so-called 'Springtime refund scams'. In the Spring of 2018, 250,000 reports of tax scams were received by HMRC.

Criminals often bombard taxpayers with tax refund scams during the months of April and May – the time when HMRC processes legitimate rebates.

Individuals have been warned to be wary of text messages, calls and voicemails purporting to be from HMRC. These are often designed to extract personal or financial information from the taxpayer.

Commenting on the issue, Angela MacDonald, Head of Customer Services at HMRC, said: 'We are determined to protect honest people from these fraudsters who will stop at nothing to make their phishing scams appear legitimate.

'HMRC is currently shutting down hundreds of phishing sites a month. If you receive one of these emails or texts, don't respond and report it to HMRC so that more online criminals are stopped in their tracks.'


Making tax digital is here!


VAT-registered businesses with a taxable turnover above the VAT threshold are required to use the Making Tax Digital service to keep records digitally and use software to submit their VAT returns from 1 April 2019.


Lettings Relief to be scrapped?


Lettings relief is a capital gains tax break that is available to anyone who lets out a property that is, or was in the past, their primary residence.

It has been possible to claim a maximum £40,000 in letting relief against capital gains tax when a let property is sold, rising to £80,000 for a couple, if you ever lived in it. This was in addition to principal private residence relief.

However, April 2020, subject to a consultation, owners will only qualify for this relief if they occupy the let home alongside the tenant, in other words, effectively letting out rooms.

Also, whilst currently, sellers receive capital gains tax relief for the last 18 months that they own the property, from 2020 this “final period exemption” may be halved to nine months.


Parents failing to make use of tax-free childcare


According to data published by the government, its Tax-Free Childcare (TFC) scheme ‘has not had the uptake expected’, with only 22% of eligible families making use of it.

Official figures have suggested that the government had planned and budgeted for 415,000 families to be using the TFC scheme by October 2017. However, the data has revealed that, by December 2018, only 91,000 families had signed up to the scheme.

The TFC initiative replaced the Employer Supported Childcare (ESC) scheme, which closed to new entrants on 4 October 2018. TFC is available to both employed and self-employed individuals, and is paid per child rather than per parent, allowing single parents to benefit.

Under the initiative, tax relief of up to 20% is available for childcare costs, up to a total of £10,000. The scheme is therefore worth a maximum of £2,000 per child (£4,000 for a disabled child). Children aged under 12 are eligible for the scheme, as well as disabled children aged up to 17.


HMRC reveals 700,000 couples are 'missing out' on Marriage Allowance


HMRC has estimated that around 700,000 couples are 'missing out' on the Marriage Allowance, which could save them up to £238 in tax.

Introduced in April 2015, the Marriage Allowance enables spouses to transfer a fixed amount of their personal allowance (PA) to their partner. The option is available to couples where neither pays tax at the higher or additional rate. If eligible, one partner will be able to transfer 10% of their PA to the other partner (£1,190 for the 2018/19 tax year).

For those couples where one person does not use all of their PA, the benefit will be up to £238 (20% of £1,190).


Accountants Chester | Accountants Bromborough | Phillips & Co | Abbey Tax

Fee Protection Insurance

Our Tax Investigations Service is fully backed by an Insurance Policy, which we have taken out with Abbey Tax. The service offers

Fee Protection of up to £75,000 in the event of:

Full and Aspect Enquiries into:

Corporation Tax Returns;

Partnership Tax Returns;

Sole Trader Tax Returns;

Personal Tax Returns.

Disputes into:


Employer Compliance (PAYE, P11D and NIC);


"Phillips & Co have been our accountants since we started trading 5 years ago. Exceptional service and nothing is too much trouble with a very prompt response to any questions. Highly recommended."

Melanie Joynes T/A Isabelles

Accountants Chester | Accountants Bromborough | Phillips & Co | ACCA
Accountants Chester | Accountants Bromborough | Phillips & Co | Iris Kashflow
Accountants Bromborough | Accountants Chester | Phillips & Co |Sage
Accountants Bromborough | Accountants Chester | Phillips & Co | Quickbooks
Accountants Bromborough | Accountants Chester | Phillips & Co | FreeAgent
Accountants Bromborough | Accountants Chester | Phillips & Co | Xero